Please note for the MK802IIIS there are 2 methods to install new firmware.
1. Using an update.img file (provided by Rikomagic support pages) which is copied onto a blank SD card and inserted into the device. The Rikomagic is then powered on and boots to Android where it will recognise the update.img file on the SD card and ask you if you want to install the upgrade. THIS IS FOR SIMPLE UPGRADING only, it will NOT recover a device that will not boot or has other issues.
2. Flashing the internal NAND of the device – this will absolutely ERASE EVERYTHING and install the Firmware fresh. This is what you need to do if your device will not boot, crashes frequently or just is plain unusable. In most cases these symptoms are a software related problem and not a hardware one.
This method requires a PC, Win XP, Win 7 and Win 8 are all known to work.
Also it is probably a good idea if you have some basic understanding of how the Windows driver system works in order to troubleshoot if things don’t go to plan.
Flashing the Firmware
1. Please download the relevant Firmware and Flash tools from those page:
flash tool download link:
2. Unzip the package to your desktop or other convenient location and locate the folder RKBatchTool1.5en – inside this folder is the flash tool program RKBatchTool and the USB drivers for the MK802IIIS – Don’t open anything yet!
3. Also in the folder you should see an MK802IIIS8BT.img file or similar, this is the actual firmware file.
4. Next you need your MK802IIIS and the micro USB – standard USB cable that came with the device. You also need a small metal stick, a paperclip or sim removal tool like the one that comes with the iPhone is actually perfect.
5. See the pictures below. You need to locate the small push button switch which resides on the other side of the plastic air vent on the rear side of the MK802III.
6. The idea here is that you need to use the metal stick to press the push button switch and whilst holding it in connect the Micro USB cable to the computer. This can be tricky to do as we only have one pair of hands! but with a bit of practice it becomes easy. I recommend first getting a feel for where the micro switch is and practice pressing the button in a few times before trying to connect to the PC as well. The micro switch should “click” noticeably when depressed.
7. When you have successfully connected your MK802IIIS to the computer you should hear a sound from windows telling you that a new device has been found. You can release the micro switch now.
8. The next bit is important… we don’t want windows to try and automatically install any drivers as we want to select the ones from the RKBatchTool1.5en folder.
9. Depending on which windows version you have the next bit will be different. In an ideal world the install driver dialog will appear as shown in the picture below.
10. You need to select the option “install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
11. At the next step you need to check the option “include this location in the search” and then browse to the folder: RKBatchTool1.5en/Driver
12. Click Next, and the driver should install. You will get a message to tell you the driver installation has been successful – or not!
PLEASE NOTE – If it didn’t work or Windows automatically installed a driver you will need to completely remove the driver from the system and start over. To do this varies between systems but basically you will need to locate the device manager on your PC and find a USB device called “RK3066″ or “Rikomagic” and completely remove and delete the driver from the system.
13. If the driver installation is successful you can then proceed to the firmware installation!
14. Open the program RKBatchTool and the tool will open.
15. At the top right of the RKBatchTool Window you will see a file selector, click on this and select your Firmware file in this case: MK802IIIS8BT.img
16. If your MK802IIIS is correctly connected to the PC, the RKBatchTool program will show a green square with “1″ on it. If not then you need to go back and make sure the USB driver is installed correctly.
17. Click on “Upgrade” to install the firmware!
18. The program will give an indication of what its doing with a progress percentage shown below, when its finished you will get a message like *****upgrade done success*****